Friday, March 26, 2010

When it Rains it Pours

Hello Dear Readers!
First off, thank you for all the lovely comments about "An Unexpected Visitor". I really, really appreciate it. Unfortunately I have some bad news for you....no final Sabriel piece this month. I'm bummed about it, but I've been extra-super-busy with work this month and just didn't have the time to spare (I woke up this morning with my fingers aching from all the non-stop drawing!!)

However, I'm PUMPED to get back into Sabriel's world again, and I think the next piece will be sweet. :) In the meantime, I've got some sketches for different illustration/spot ideas I was thinking about.
Both the top ideas are Sabriel at Cloven Crest, which will probably be my next illo for the Picture Book Report, but I also had an idea for Sabriel passing through the wall to the Old Kingdom (showing the seasonal discrepancies on either side) and the Abhorsen, from the beginning of the book, when he saved newborn Sabriel in the waters of death.


And here to try and make up for this delay is a kitten that wants to sell you eyedrops:


It'd be fun to do a series of these with different animals as unlikely product spokesmen.
Have a good weekend everybody!

8 comments:

McLean Kendree said...

I definitely dig that top-left one, great graphic shapes, and Thralk's shadow is threatening, but still pretty mysterious!

Also, that cat rules!

ink and ginger said...

This actually reminds me of a stocking-stuffer book I saw last weekend called "Your Grandma Died," which was basically a series of horrible announcements accompanied by pictures of stonking adorable baby animals.

I love your art, by the by!

Anonymous said...

The STONE is broken!

I LOVE the cat.

dadu shin said...

nice! sketches look real promising, looking forward to the next piece! also cool to see some of your process.

Kali Ciesemier said...

McLean-- Thanks! Top left, fo sho! I spent forever trying to figure out how to get Thralk in there, everything's so vertical...that's why he looks like he's dancing into the picture on the top right, hahaha.

Pen and Paper-- Haha, I could totally see that as a book, and thank you! I might have to do a set of these after all!

Reed-- You'd think that if they called it "Cloven Crest", they wouldn't be suprised that someone broke the charter stones?? Bad planning, town. And thanks!!

Dadu--Thank you, I'm excited to start it soon!

Unknown said...

These last updates have been awesome Kali,

Keep em coming <3<3<3

-Brun

spoff said...

Wonderful Sabriel sketches, can't wait to see them fleshed out (or see the charter servants).

Nancy Muller said...

Oh Eye-Drops kitten, I love it so! You should definitely do a little animal spokesmen series, I would be tickled to death if you did.